The 2019 GMC Sierra is a truck designed to offer performance and luxury for the most discriminating yet practical buyer. Among the many features that come with the GMC Sierra are advanced trailering technologies that make connecting to a trailer a smooth and effortless process.
Tony Johnson, the Director of Truck Strategy, states that “GMC spoke with thousands of pickup truck owners who trailer, either on a daily basis or a couple times a month. We listened to their thoughts on how the trailering process, from connecting the hitch to traveling down the road, could be improved upon, and integrated professional-grade solutions into our Next Generation 2019 Sierra.”
Typical towing packages from other manufacturers would simply consist of a receiver hitch and some wiring connectors for trailering. GMC decided to introduce a ProGrade Trailering system that, according to Johnson, goes beyond the basic towing package. These new technologies were integrated to bring a new level of connectivity and convenience to help customers feel more confident in trailering their cargo. It takes all the guesswork out of hitching a trailer and eliminates the need for a spotter when backing up.
Here are the some of the new hardware that the ProGrade Trailering package would bring to the 2019 GMC Sierra:
- The Hitch Guidance with Hitch View are rearview cameras on the Sierra that would incorporate dynamic guidance lines when backing up to the trailer. This would apply not just for the truck, but for the trailer hitch as well. A Hitch View mode lets the driver zoom in on the hitch for more precise maneuvering. This system is also active during motion to check on the status of the connection.
- The Auto Electric Parking Brake Assist will ensure that the truck connection will not get misaligned when shifting into park mode by applying the parking brake automatically.
- Hitch Area Lighting is also provided because not all trailering happens in broad daylight and GMC anticipated trailering in dark conditions by integrating a special tailgate lamp that illuminates the receiver hitch area.
- An Integrated Trailer Brake Controller is also included to allow the driver to program brake levels to suit the type of trailer it will tow.
- Augmenting these systems is the Sierra ProGrade Trailering app which will be accessible from the infotainment system in the dashboard and comes with a variety of unique functionalities:
- Pre-Departure Checklists provides a step-by-step illustrated guide to help the driver connect to the trailer. It is informative enough to even help drivers who are new to trailering.
- The Trailer Light Test takes the pain out of testing all the lights for the truck and attached trailer manually with a system that automatically checks all the lights with a push of a button.
- Customizable trailer profiles give the driver the option to save specific trailering settings for the trailers that the Sierra will tow so that it can remember all the settings for the trailer being attached.
- Trailer Tire Pressure Monitoring is a feature found in many modern vehicles that has now been applied to trailers by relaying information like tire pressure and temperature to the driver for a quick assessment.
- Theft Alert extends the Sierra’s theft alert detection from the truck to the trailer when it is attached.
Complementing the ProGrade Trailering app, the myGMC App will also allow drivers to remotely trigger the trailer light and also provides a pre-departure checklist as a point of reference.
The ProGrade Trailering system for the 2019 GMC Sierra will enhance the trailering experience for the driver and is a great complement to the existing power and towing features already found on their standard trucks.
Do you need customized work trucks? Contact us at 1-877-479-1388 or email Steve Gruber at firstname.lastname@example.org for your car, truck or fleet rental and no-term leasing needs. We have locations in Hamilton, Selkirk & Niagara and service all of Ontario through our partner network. With a fleet of over 800 vehicles and growing, Thomas Solutions has a wide array of work vehicles for lease or rent, and an expert team that provides fleet management services for large industrial firms.